cosas para matar el tiempo

jueves, agosto 07, 2008

I con mayúsculas

Not long ago, certain presidential candidates could have used a bit of the “I and I” spirit. At the close of the primary season, the news media scrutinized Hillary Rodham Clinton, John McCain and Barack Obama’s use of the first-person pronoun, the implication being that a string of “I” ’s signifies ungracious self-inflation. On the last day of voting, Clinton led the pack with 64 “I” ’s and McCain followed with 60. Obama’s “I” count lagged at 30, and he was the only candidate whose combined “we” ’s (37) and “you” ’s (16) outnumbered his “I” ’s. These were spoken pronouns, but, of course, our understanding and use of language is informed by the printed word.


más.

No hay comentarios:

esto no es una salida

Creative Commons License
el texto --cuando vale la pena-- de la lectora asesina/aburrida is licensed under a Creative Commons Atribución-Licenciar Igual 2.0 Chile License.